The wreath has recently become something more than just the thing you stick on the front door at Christmas. Seasonal wreaths are cropping up throughout the year and now beautiful Spring themed wreaths are a staple of Easter decorating schemes.
The beauty of this wreath is that once you have made the basic wreath base you can use it throughout the year as all the decorations are attached to the wreath base using VELCRO® Brand Stick On for Fabrics making it very easy to interchange the décor. The step by step instructions show how to make beautiful anemones and flower buds from felt but if you don’t want to get super crafty you can simply find lots of different shop bought decorations, add a strip of VELCRO® Brand Stick On to the back of each and then attach to the wreath.
You will need:
FOR THE WREATH BASE:
Two metal rings 35cm and 45cm you can pick these up from craft stores.
Medium weight rustic string or twine
VELCRO® Brand Stick On For Fabrics Tape
VELCRO® Brand HANGables™ Removable Wall Fasteners
FOR THE FLOWERS
Felt in pink, white, cream, lime green (you will need 1 sheet per two flowers), light yellow, dark yellow, grey and black (a small sheet of each)
A glue gun
Flower templates download here.
A variety of Easter decorations including, eggs, nests or small chicks.
TO MAKE THE WREATH
1. Take the two hoops and use the twine to tie together at the top.
2. Begin wrapping the twine around the hoops, wrap quite tightly and try and keep the tension consistent.
3. Keep wrapping until you reach the top again. If it gets tricky to keep the twine tight around the bottom of the wreath use the glue gun to hold the twine in place.
TO MAKE THE ANEMONES
1. Take a rectangle of felt approximately 4cm x 16cm, concertina into 4.
2. Print and cut out the small petal template, hold the template on the felt and cut out. Trim to neaten each petal individually if necessary. Also cut 4 larger petals using a 5 x 20cm rectangle and the large petal template.
3. To make the centre of the flower cut a 3 x 12cm rectangle of yellow felt, fold in half lengthways and snip small incisions along the length approximately 5mm apart.
4. Also cut a rough circle with a diameter of approx 5cm
5. Run a circle of glue around the middle of the felt circle.
6. Then roughly pinch the circle together. Hold for a couple of seconds to allow the glue to set.
7. Take the yellow rectangle, fold in half and use a little glue to fix it around the flower centre, continue wrapping around then fix the end with a little more glue.
8. Use your fingers to fan out the felt a little.
9. Run more glue around the base of the flower centre (about 5mm up from the bottom of the flower). Place the 4 smaller petals next to each other around the base,
10. Pinch the petals and base for 30 seconds to allow the glue to set. Don’t worry if the petals overlap slightly.
11. Repeat with the 4 larger petals.
12. Try and place the petals so they alternate with the positions of the smaller petals.
TO MAKE THE ANEMONE BUDS
1. Using the templates cut three bud petals and three bud leaves, cut a 3 x12cm rectangle and a 5cm circle for the flower middle.
2. Make the flower middle as per the Anemone instructions above.
3. Glue the three bud petals in place.
4. Finally glue the three bud leaves so they alternate with the petals.
TO MAKE THE SMALL FLOWER HEADS AND VINE LEAVES
1. Cut a 6 x 30cm rectangle, fold in half and snip small incisions as before. Place a little glue on one end and begin rolling the rectangle up. Use a little glue to hold the other end in place.
2. Cut two leaf shapes, place a little glue at the base of each leaf and pinch the two sides together, then glue in place behind the fronds of the flower.
3. Cut out the vine template, then place onto a rectangle of felt -
4. Draw around or pin in place and then cut from the felt. Cut 4.
TO CONSTRUCT THE WREATH.
1. Make a selection of flowers, buds and small flowers.
2. Take the VELCRO® Brand Stick on for Fabrics, Using the Hook side of the strip cut into sections the same width as the bottom third of the wreath, remove the pealable backing and then stick in place on the wreath.
3. Cut the loop side of the strip into small sections (about 2cm) and place one on the reverse of each of the flowers and decorations. If the base of the flowers are a little uneven you can also use a small dot of glue to help the VELCRO® Brand Stick On For Fabrics stay in place.
4. Roughly plan the design of the flower placement
5. Attach the flowers and decorations to the wreath by placing them onto the VELCRO® Brand strips and then pressing firmly together.
6. TO HANG THE WREATH: On the reverse of the wreath Cut three pieces of card slightly larger than the HANGables™ Removable Wall Fasteners and use the glue gun to fix in place. Place two either side of the wreath about half way down and one at the bottom in the middle. Place the transparent hook of the HANGables™ product on to each cardboard piece and then put the loop onto this so both of the product pieces are mated, then remove the backing off the remaining pieces and position onto the wall, hold for 30 seconds and there you have it, a beautiful Easter decoration which can easily be changed throughout the seasons and can be removed from the wall without any use of nails or screws, simple!